Sunday, November 27, 2011

For a Moment.



This week, Occupy News posted the following picture. What do you see? People bending down as a few men hold hands.

What it is: Tahrir Square, Cairo: Christians protecting Muslims at prayer.

When I first saw this picture and read the caption, I was so moved that my eyes began to tear. I've always believed that our differences in beliefs have caused the most tragedy in this world. When we reject what we don't understand or fear, we lose out in the biggest opportunity to look into a different perspective. Egypt has a history of tension between their Muslim and Christian communities. In this picture, the citizens of Egypt are united in acting against their government and police force. It's the first time in many years that common people have revolted as a mass against their government. What is so moving to me is that people were able to put away their differences and protect one another. For a moment, no one was better than anyone else, no one's belief or religion was stronger. For a moment, people protected people.

Could you imagine the power we'd have if we'd commonly practice respect and appreciation for other human beings? Power. When I think of that word, I think of money, status, and greed. It's rare that I think of "good power.” What does "good power” look like?

It looks like this picture.

1 comment:

  1. I love the notion of "good power" that you write about. Power often does have a negative connotation, but we can certainly try harder to look for the good power in our lives.

    ReplyDelete